Title: Supervisory Green Building Reviewer
Job ID: 2675
Job ID: 2675
Location: 1100 4th Street, SW
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Date Opened: 02/15/2018
Area of Consideration: Open to Public
From Grade: 13
Type of Appointment: MSS - Reg Appt
Minimum Rate: $86,660.00
Target Openings: 1
Date Closed: 03/16/2018
Agency: Consumer & Regulatory Affairs
Bargaining Unit: CH11
Maximum Rate: $121,323.00
Available Openings: 1
This position is located within the Green Building Division of the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. The function of this position is to supervise the activities of the Green Building Division’s Plan Reviewers and the Third Party Energy/Green Plan Review Program to ensure compliance with applicable policies, regulations, and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Green Building and Sustainability Coordinator who assigns responsibilities in terms of stated objectives, and relies upon the incumbent to exercise considerable independent judgment in planning, organizing and executing assignments. This includes determining the methods and procedures that will work most effectively and expeditiously to accomplish the plan review workload of the Green Building Division. The incumbent keeps his/her supervisor informed of the status of the work assignments and of critical changes or major issues as they arise. The incumbent otherwise directs the energy review, green review and solar (SOL) permit review according to his/her judgment and discretion. The incumbent also oversees the implementation of the DCRA Third Party Energy/Green Plan Review Program.
Click: Careers DC
Click: View Latest Jobs
Energy Consultant 1
Identifies, advocates for and advises on energy efficiency improvements in new construction and existing industrial, commercial and multi-family buildings and facilities. Participates in the delivery of cost-effective energy efficiency solutions to commercial buildings while contributing to a mission-driven, creative, enjoyable and stimulating work environment. Experience in energy modeling is preferred for this position.
- Works with wide range of customers, including business owners, architects, engineers, vendors, trade allies and other relevant players to promote the installation of cost-effective efficiency improvements in customers’ future and existing buildings/facilities and to creatively overcome barriers to installation in accordance with DC SEU’s strategic plans. Excels at maintaining customer relationships and utilizes investigative questioning to successfully determine how best to proceed with a variety of customers, including high profile and/or account managed customers.
- Provides appropriate levels of technical support that increase participation in energy efficiency services. Performs basic energy and financial analyses, analyzes fuel and utility bills, estimates savings and costs, screens measures and provides technical assistance and upgrade recommendations for customers. Performs and presents insightful and strategically targeted custom energy and financial analysis reflecting identified unique business knowledge for customers for who long term business relationship is critical to realizing full savings potential including but not necessarily limited to, account managed customers. Educates customers, contractors, and design professionals as needed.
- Plays an active role in identifying innovative technical solutions and appliesthat knowledge in work with customers regarding new technical products, process improvements, and substantial technological opportunities and occasionally presents to staff about these.
- Excels at building and maintaining relationships with customer decision makers and implementation staff to develop project energy savings goals in a manner that leads to consistent repeat business. Determine, present, and negotiate the appropriate rebates. Manages customer expectations and capably persuades customers to make investments in energy efficiency.
- Works with customers to identify and prioritize site specific project needs and opportunities, develop customer relationships, manage customer expectations and inspect installed measures. Consistently collaborates with several long-term customers to incorporate opportunities into customer’s planning process.
- Supports and collaborates with other DC SEU staff to deliver market-based services. For example: supporting business developments efforts, assist with development of training for clients and internal staff, researching new products, technologies, and identifying and implementing improvements to our processes and approaches.
- Maintains accurate and timely project records and documentation within DC SEU’s database system and in hard copy files.
- Provides and models exemplary customer service both internally and externally to the organization.
- May provide guidance to less experienced Engineering Staff.
- Delivers and assists with improving technical results and has responsibilities below which includes but is not limited to the following areas.
- Provides consulting services pertaining to equipment and facility energy use for commercial and institutional customers. Services include customer-specific energy and financial analysis, site inspections, building and systems diagnostics, and oral and written feedback and recommendations;
- Provides training, field mentoring for less-experienced DC SEU staff, and guidance to customers and relevant market actors in accordance with energy efficiency service protocols and approaches;
- Partners with general contractors, manufacturing representatives and design professionals to promote and implement energy efficiency measures that encourages future participation in DC SEU services;
- Provides public presentations relating to commercial and institutional building and facility energy efficiency to various audiences;
- Assists customers to develop project specifications, solicit contractor submittals, evaluate proposals, and participate in pre-bid meetings for projects moderate in size and complexity as appropriate;
- Reviews other Energy Consultant savings calculations and authorizes incentives following established protocols;
- Performs on-site inspections which may include measuring dimensions of building components, verification of installed heating, cooling, and/or ventilation systems, diagnostic testing and collecting and recording data; Analyzes building energy efficiency levels using energy rating or other modeling software or through other accepted tools and provides reports and documents as well as oral and written recommendations to customers.
- Works closely in partnership with Account Management team to service discreet lines of business and/or specific clients.
- Supports the coordination of activities with other staff, groups, and divisions within VEIC and the DC SEU as is necessary to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals and values of VEIC and the DC SEU.
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, electrical or related engineering field plus a minimum of five years’ experience analyzing commercial or institutional energy use, identifying opportunities for energy improvements, and assisting customers or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Strong understanding of buildings, facilities and/or manufacturing systems, building energy use, building construction, and energy analysis techniques. Experience with large
- scale commercial/institutional a plus.
- Demonstrated and applied understanding of negotiations skills, financial analysis andbusiness strategies.
- Demonstrated success in handling multiple, concurrent projects as it relates to project management, construction management and building long-term customer relationships.
- Experienced with mobile PC applications and tablet computer use, building energy modeling tools, spreadsheet, word processing and database software.
- Knowledge of relevant codes and standards and demonstrated leadership internally and externally in at least one significant area of technical and/or financial expertise.
- Strong interpersonal skills and competent written and oral communications skills and ability to apply them within a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and able to track progress to ensure timely involvement in multiple projects of moderate size and complexity and associated tasks and competing priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Willingly and positively adapts to new situations, processes and innovation; ability to adapt style to meet the needs of individuals and/or the organization.
- Must be able to work independently and use sound decision making practices while maintaining high level organizational goals.