Friday, August 22: AEENCC Architect of the Capitol Tour
Our event will begin with a presentation by Douglas Helmann from the Office of the Architect of the Capitol which will be made in the United States Capitol Visitor Center Congressional Meeting Room North.
After a catered lunch we will tour the energy renovation project in the House Office Buildings. The Architect of the Capitol recently saw the completion of the House Office Building's energy savings performance contract, a 30-month construction project that included approximately $34 million in facility infrastructure upgrades in the Rayburn, Longworth, Cannon and Ford House Office Buildings. Through this effort, the total energy consumption of the House Office Buildings was reduced 23 percent, savings equivalent to removing approximately 1,700 cars from the road or planting more than 2,600 acres of trees. We can expect to see a variety of Energy Conservation Measures applied to some of the most historically significant buildings on the planet as well as some of the grandest spaces in this country.
There are several special considerations for this event due to the nature of the location.
1. It is essential that all participants visit the US Capitol's website for information regarding coming to the U.S. Capitol, including a list of prohibited items, www.visitthecapitol.gov
2. Security: People must enter the Capitol Visitor's Center through the main visitor entrance off 1st Street. Please come early to go through security and then to the meeting room. You must be pre-registered to attend this event, walk-ins will not be permitted.
3. Capitol Visitor Center staff will provide signage to get us to the meeting room.
4. There shall be no display of logos, promotional, or commercial items.
5. Photography is permitted, but may not be allowed in some areas.
Friday August 22, 2014 from
10:30 AM to 2:00 PM EDT
U.S. Capitol Building
East Capitol St NE & First St SE
Washington, DC 20004